Transform yourself into a high impact Agile Project Manager!
This free Agile Project Management Webinar will help project managers understand how to dramatically transform themselves into a very high impact Agile Project Management role!
Why This Agile Webinar Is Important
This Agile Webinar is very important for project managers. Agile is having a very significant impact on the project management profession:
- Traditional, plan-driven project management has not changed significantly since the 1950’s and 1960’s
- Many projects are moving rapidly to an Agile approach
Weaknesses in Traditional Project Management Approach
Agile addresses several major weaknesses in a traditional plan-driven project management approach:
- It is not well-suited for an environment with a high level of uncertainty
- The emphasis on planning and control can stifle creativity and innovation
- Unnecessary overhead can increase costs and slow progress
The Challenge for Project Managers
Traditional, plan-driven project management is still useful if it is done in the right context; however:
- Any project manager who only knows traditional plan-driven project management and force-fits all projects to that approach will have limited success
- Project managers need to learn how to blend Agile and traditional plan-driven project management principles and practices in the right proportions to fit any given situation
That is exactly the challenge that this webinar will help you understand.
Agile Project Management Webinar Summary – What You Will Learn
Here’s a summary of what you will learn in this Free Agile Project Management Webinar:
1. Learn to Fit the Approach to the Nature of the Project
Agile and traditional plan-driven project management (what many people loosely call “Waterfall”) are seen as binary and mutually-exclusive choices:
- As a result, many people tend to think they need to force-fit a project to one of those extremes
- The right solution is to go in the other direction and fit the methodology to the nature of the project
- That can require a lot more skill to do that but it definitely can be done
2. Develop a More Adaptive Approach
In the world we live in today:
- Technologies tend to be much more dynamic and rapidly-changing and projects may have very high levels of uncertainty
- That makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to successfully apply a traditional, plan-driven project management approach in many situations that call for a much more adaptive approach
3. Understand the Convergence of Agile and Traditional Project Management
The convergence of these approaches raises the bar for the project management profession and will likely have a significant impact on the careers of many project managers.
4. Learn Where PMI-ACP Fits In
PMI® has recognized the importance of Agile and has created the PMI-ACP® certification. PMI-ACP is a step in the right direction; however it has several limitations:
- PMI-ACP doesn’t address the challenge that many project managers face of learning how to blend Agile and traditional plan-driven project management
- Agile and traditional, plan-driven project management are still treated as separate and independent domains of knowledge with little or no integration between the two
- It is also a general test of Agile and Lean knowledge and doesn’t focus on a specific real-world job that a project manager might play
This Agile webinar will help you:
- Better understand the challenges Agile presents to project managers, and
- The impact on your career as a project manager
- It will help you begin to develop a broader, high-impact view of what “project management” is
The following articles are all related to the topic of “Agile Project Management Training”:
You will find much more detail on this in my Online Agile Project Management Training.